What better way to start 2017 with a post on my future projects? There are several things I would like to try in the next 12 months, some that I have been meaning to try for a long time, others that made the list only recently. Of course, like every year, this list will change a million times and I will add and remove several entries as I go along, but for now, these are some of the things I want to spend some time playing with in 2017.
- Learn and deploy Puppet: as my infrastructure grows and becomes more complex, I start feeling the need to start using configuration management. Also, I have always been curious to find out exactly how these tools work, so this is one of the first projects in the list
- Upgrade to XenServer 7: I have been using XenServer 6.5 FP1 for months now. Citrix have recently released version 7 which seems to be quite a nice improvement. This is probably going to be the first thing I work on this new year
- Work on a XenServer mobile app (I have been playing with the idea for a while now)
- Find a good use for my new Raspberry Pi 2 (if you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them in the comment section below, I’d love to hear your thoughts)
- Add some more web apps to my web server
- Test NextCloud and decide whether it’s going to be worth it migrating from ownCloud
- Implement VLANs in my home network (having recently moved and been very busy, I have only been able to configure my network with the bare minimum necessary to get internet connectivity, it’s now time to think about doing some network planning)
- Consider switching to a hardware firewall (another topic where I would be particularly interested in hearing your thoughts)
- Configure a new FreeNAS box to take the place of my Synology DS213J which I gave to my father (I have some spare drives and I have recently ordered some new 3 TB drives which I want to put to good use).
There you go, these are some of the things I would like to do sooner rather than later in 2017. 12 months is a long time though, so I am sure I will run into so many other cool projects that I will end up not having enough time to do half of these things, like every single year :)
What do you think? Is there anything that you think should make this list? What are you going to work on in 2017? Let me know in the comments!